Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Secret Garden Club

In attempts to save the landscaping around our new apartment, God has inpired me to start “The Secret Garden Club.” At a resale shop, I found a hard back copy of the famous book, "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I introduced the idea to the kids in the complex that were using the flowerbeds as a playground. I don't think they even noticed that they were destroying the landscaping. It is their only playground and they were just being kids. Other adults told me to yell at them if I saw them riding their bikes across the bushes. I was determined to try a different approach.
Here is our first meeting We made membership cards and giggled with Susannah, our mascot.
Later, there were about 6 kids who helped with the replanting of the bushes they had uprooted themselves. After I went inside, they had a major game of hide and go seek. They were running wildly all over the court yard. I sat in the house wondering what our courtyard looked like. When they all went home for dinner, I went outside to see the damage. To my great surprise and joy, not one bush was touched. They had taken ownership and my first mission had been accomplished.

It was cold and raining for our next meeting. I had some little pots of lavender and strawberries that my friend Pam and her daughter Andrea had given me as a going away gift from California. I had this tiny little watering can that I had bought for Jenna and Sophie.
Just three girls showed up. We read the book and planted the seeds. Tiny things are so fascinating.


Today the birds were singing and California has loaned us her weather. After I read, "The Secret Garden", we walked around and looked at how our bushes and plants were doing. This was the group. We watered the plants and named them. They are an energetic bunch. We had fun taking pictures. As we watch the bushes come back to life, I am hoping that the Secret Garden Club will become a spiritual garden. Once again I have a group of kids to love on and to have fun with. My heart is soaring.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) that is such an awesome approach! That's why you were always my favorite teacher!

You are showing such love to these kids! I love it.

Brie said...

These kids are very lucky to have your love and attention. I'm sure they'll remember this long after they've grown.

So neat to see God opening doors for you.

I wish you had been teaching third grade when I was that age!

Grayson said...

You draw a crowd wherever you go! One of your many gifts is the ability to connect with children. I know you are such a blessing to this group. Eric and I believe that the Lord wants us to bloom where we are planted and that is exactly what you are doing!love, Katy and Eric

Anonymous said...

Cindy, you are a marvel!

Mary said...

You might tell your Secret Garden club that your friend in Colorado has to put her gardens back together (after the construction) and she'd like some suggestions from them about what she should grow. What plants do they think are pretty? Some things that bloom in Texas will also bloom in Colorado!

Anonymous said...

And this story is exactly why the world loves Cindy Rantal! We need more like you!
Love,
Shirley